Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to roleplay

How to roleplay

Hey there guys. not sure if anybody is still around to read this but here's my take on things.

If you want to incorporate the concept of roleplaying, you need a game-master or the equivalent of a dungeon master in the D&D series.

My friends and I have been playing our own, home brewed version of a fantasy game, much akin to Planescape Torment.

Here's the basic rules of how to roleplay in the context of the Valley of Mines.

You need an active game master that sets out rules of playing (I am willing to offer my expertise on this) , who creates quests, rewards and dynamics between actions and rewards.

To successfully roleplay this game, I'd create character sheets based on your own characters and stats + skills you have gathered along the way.

If anyone is willing to help me on this, roleplaying should be tied into the gameplay elemets of the game. Example, 2 characters complete a quests and they each get 2 potions of healing, granted by the admin or whoever is in charge of this game.

Here's an example of a roleplaying situation .

Two rogues from the new camp are given a quest to scout out the orc territory and size up their numbers. The quest is managed by me, the descriptions and situations are also managed by me.

For character one and two (description) : You intelligently wait for nightfall to arrive and a storm breaks out, concealing your approach towards an abandoned watch tower. As you take cover behind an outcropping of rocks, a lighting bolt ripples against the Barrier and illuminates the surrounding area. You see two wargs in the distance, snarling at each other, while an Orc Scout roasts a scavenger on a spit. The thunder and rain keeps you concealed for the moment, and the wind is blowing in your direction, hiding your scent from the wargs.

What do you do?

Character 1: Perception roll. You roll x/d20 (using a 20sided die owned by me or a die simulator). Depending on the perception I can describe to you what you see in a smaller or greater detail.
    Character 2: Dexterity roll x/d20. A high dexterity can enable you to get a foothold in the niches of the watchtower and climb it.
    Possibilities: High dex = you climb the tower.
    Critical miss = You fall from the tower, and depending on the situation you hurt yourself, make noise, or get off with just a couple of bruises.

A sudden shift in the wind direction, favors the wargs and they catch your scent and turn their heads in your direction.

What do you do?

Character 1: Possibilities -1) Use herbs in inventory alongside with mud to conceal your scent.
    2) Get into a defensive position to take out the wargs at long range.
    3)Run.
    4) Throw a rock in another direction to distract the wargs.
    5) Roll a fear check if you start sweating, and/or making noises, thus increasing your chances of being discovered.

The wargs sniff the air and decide to return to the Orcish Scout.

You eventually climb on top of the tower (if Character 1 or 2 decide to do so) , and see fires in top of a hill. Perception roll x/d20 = reveals the sound of ritual drums. Roll knowledge based on the orcish culture = a failed roll can reveal that you think they are war drums. A successful roll reveals they are ritual drums, specific for the coming of age of a young orcish warrior and he's taking the rites to become a fully fledged orcish hunter.

Conclusions depending on you reacted and played your hand.

1) Your scouting mission reveals no immediate danger or invasion from the orcish clans.
    2) Your lack of knowledge of orcish culture makes you report an invasion from the orcish clans to the water mages.
    3) You might end up fighting the wargs + orc scout, thus initiating a hostile action against the orcs, possibly initiating in a night raid against the Old camp/New camp/ or humans in general.

Possibilities abound depending on how you react to certain situations.

The reason player cannot roleplay actions themselves is to prevent over powered activities or absurd circumstances. Basically a game master or a dungeon master acts as the computer A.I. that takes care of the context and story for you so you can play your character.

To do this, I need the help of whoever is running this game and active players.

Regards, Anari

You can mail me at juliannecroix@yahoo.com
    Last edited by anari; 17.06.2013 at 13:28. Reason: spellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by anari View Post
    The reason player cannot roleplay actions themselves is to prevent over powered activities or absurd circumstances. Basically a game master or a dungeon master acts as the computer A.I. that takes care of the context and story for you so you can play your character.
    Well, depends on who's your "game master", as you say. Most of the roleplay quests are given by guildmasters or peple who have a lot of roleplaying experience and the same applies to organising RP events. Players CAN roleplay themselves, that's true, as that is the element which makes the impression of living world, but every small sessions doesn't have to be supervised or planned by some1 with a "higher competence". The bigger RP actions do though.

But that's just my opinion
    Last edited by Feindbild; 06.05.2014 at 16:01. Reason: What the colorheck
    mk3.minenkolonie.com

Mastermind Igr
    az
    Fence
    Baltram
    Novice Zuben
    Hunter Garond

mc.minenkolonie.com

[Admin] Lojza5

Well, I'm all for quests given by the guild masters, but when it comes to larger actions you need a sort of guide, so I was thinking that we could start a role playing guide for player and how the quests and interactions should be handled.

The idea of implementing a character sheet may seem strange or unwelcome to some, but I'd still like to see this community grow since the worldofgothic forums got shutdown recently (you can view posts, but cannot reply or start new threads).

Anyway, I'd like to get involved in the game to a higher degree and maybe players will be more engaged if there are specific rewards and/or guidelines and helpful threads to help players navigate the colony better.

On our old forums there was a complete roleplaying guide with tips and examples. Let's try to recover that.
    mk3.minenkolonie.com

Mastermind Igr
    az
    Fence
    Baltram
    Novice Zuben
    Hunter Garond

mc.minenkolonie.com

[Admin] Lojza5

Thanks for taking the effort to create this thread! What you're describing here is basically a Pen&Paper roleplay system. This is not what we used for the old Minenkolonie and it will not be our main focus for MKX. Nonetheless we're planning on providing optional tools for simple online P&P systems.

Yeah a pen and paper model was exactly what I was thinking about. Not a complicated one but rather one that emulates the Gothic series and in this case, you overall character development, gameplay wise.

Well, then let's start working on a role-playing guide for all players, with:

-Basic guidelines
    -Go-to players in case you get stuck,have questions, etc. I've been documenting my gameplay progress while playing, and noted many things down (e.g. when you get into that alchemist's hut and mix different coloured potions, what does strongbeer do, etc. )
    -Back stories, rumors from the outside

I'm going to start a few more threads .... ,,Welcome to the colony convict" and ,,Bugs, glitches and improvements" , ,,Gameplay guide and resources"

Saj, could you transfer Lorlen's Roleplaying guide?
    mk3.minenkolonie.com

Mastermind Igr
    az
    Fence
    Baltram
    Novice Zuben
    Hunter Garond

mc.minenkolonie.com

[Admin] Lojza5

Well I'm glad to see the community hasn't completely died out lol. I miss the old MK3N roleplaying days so any plans you have count on me.
    And....well, may the MK3N rise again?

Quote Originally Posted by Nortek View Post
    Well I'm glad to see the community hasn't completely died out lol. I miss the old MK3N roleplaying days so any plans you have count on me.
    And....well, may the MK3N rise again?
    Same here, now that I'm almost over with my exams.

Good to see you, people.

Good.. very good. Even with the few people we have, we can start rebuilding the community.